Friday, July 15, 2005

The Simple Life

No, this IS NOT about Paris Hilton and her version of the Simple Life. It’s a simple observation on Salt Cay.

Most of us are, or were professional men and women in our US lives. We come to Salt Cay for a simpler way of living and dealing with problems we never meet at home. Or if we do, we have a machine, method, service or employee to take care of it. We might even do something the old fashioned way if forced.

Today I was closing up Marilyn’s house when I chanced to see Headmistress Wilson next door at her parents.

Now Miss Wilson just earned her Master’s Degree In Education Administration I believe it is. She is a very educated and intelligent woman. She lives with Lucy and Sammy Simmons in the South District. This old house raised 12 children, including the Headmistress.

I watched this morning as she hand scrubbed a throw rug on the wall cap between the houses. Using PineSol, a brush and going to the barrel of water under the downspout to get a small pail of water and work it, work it.
She was not in her smart suit or school uniform, but a simple dress that had seen better times. She still looked better than me in my ratty t-shirt and maxed out shorts. Miss Wilson must have spent 20 minutes carefully washing and rinsing this rug, like a labor of love.

Or maybe it was just time to do something simple and reflect upon the past school year. This was her private time.

As I enjoy my new washing machine today, and a pile of easily cleaned clothes, towels and sheets, I reflect upon how difficult the simple act of keeping clean in a drought prone island must have been. An island where there is no running water in many homes. Where once you needed to go to the White House to get a pail of water and carry it home on your head just to have water for breakfast. Or, take your clothes to the stone wells up north and do your laundry.

I think I want to be a simpler, happier person when I am home in California, not just on Salt Cay. But, I won’t give up my new washer and certainly not my air conditioning.

No comments: