Friday, July 15, 2005

The First Few Days

We’ve all felt it here...someone move that big rock off me and let me get out of bed! After a night of traveling from California to New York, Provo and Salt Cay, I was one whipped puppy.

I got through Immigration pretty quickly actually. They seem to have sped up the computer process a little. Then I waited for my luggage. Of course it’s more than any one woman should be carrying. And, with the ice chest visible, I was queried as if I was importing human organs for transplant. I personally do not admit to carrying human organs, just fresh vegetables and frozen meats.

While waiting for my luggage I was standing there, in my stupor, when a lady came up with a magazine. I looked at the magazine in her hand and IT WAS MINE! St. John’s Door gracing the cover of Times Of The Islands. My heart stopped.

The lady handing it to me thought I was nuts. "That’s my cover! That’s my picture!" I’m sputtering. Well, she was pretty excited too as she had read the article and was from Salt Cay herself. She is Miss Aramenta Smith’s daughter, Loyce (sp?). We talked and I was giddy for a while.

I met Kathy Borsuk, the editor of Times Of The Islands and had a great lunch. It was encouraging to hear the cover and article already has great response. Certainly better than a sharp stick to the eye and ego.

Finally it was time to go home to Salt Cay and the Compass Rose. I cannot put into the words what it means to arrive on Salt Cay and be greeted by Debbie, Lionel, Barba and others. All you are bringing is yourself...nothing for anyone in particular. They are just happy to see you and have you back.

I don’t even mind unpacking the house for a stay of a couple of weeks. I just take longer to do it and start packing it before I’m finished.
It was great to have dinner with Debbie...just the two of us catching up after a busy season. Enjoying steaks, raviolis, good wine and best company. Someone had to do it.

Wednesday, Hump Day; No Grand Turk For Me

Wednesday brought my old buddy Sandi Knight from Naples, Florida. She’s known Jim and Sharon Shafer from when they weren’t even married and they all lived in Provo in the 70's. She’s the one responsible for making me come to the Turks and Caicos Islands in the first place.

We got into trouble by ourselves for a day or so and then Marilyn James showed up with her buddies Lu and Shannon, and Women’s Week began.
Since I’ve been sworn to a secret oath for the week, the details will remain faceless and nameless. Sort of like those Las Vegas ads.....

Sandi, a professional photographer, taught me a few things with Photoshop and out photographing the island. We had a great time shooting Porter William’s Coconut Shrimp for the upcoming Red Cross Cookbook. If you could see what a "shoot" looks like on Salt Cay you’d wonder how photographs ever get published frankly. We all like to died of dehydration in Island Thyme’s back yard getting the right light.

No comments: