Monday, December 20, 2004

The Faces Of Salt Cay

Maybe it is because I am getting older. Maybe it is realizing the vulnerability of
our little island after the real threat of Hurricane Frances. I do know it is the appreciation of what the people of Salt Cay do for me when I am not here.


I am looking back at this, and the last few years, realizing that only now have I really started appreciating the people who have called this island home their entire lives.
In retrospect I have pulled out these memories. Some have photos, some do not, but they are forever etched in my mind:


All the folks coming out of the air terminal at Grand Turk to come home on the first flight into Salt Cay...

Then the joy at Salt Cay airport of all the people coming home. And, the fact they still had homes to come back to...

Sitting with Mr. Smith at the Flash in September and him telling how Frances was "not that big of a hurricane...the one in ‘45....that was a hurricane"... And the Flash was 2 feet off it’s foundation. Mr. Smith finally smiles for my camera....

Attending Sunday services at St. John’s Church the Sunday after Frances. Poley leading as lay minister. Poley, Miss Pat and Morris, as well as the congregation, making sure I knew what to sing and what verses to read. The simple, basic commitment to each other, their church and their island was the most moving day I have experienced in a very long time. I was deeply touched to be made a part of it...

Uncle Lou and Mr. Smith, both men still riding their bicycles across the island, despite their age and health. Seemingly standing still but still moving. I only hope I can ride a bicycle when I am their age...

Uncle Sammy, playing his accordion on his front porch and the tune–"Don’t Fence Me In"....
Miss Rosalie playing the church organ and then electronic piano like a rock star. Such a seeming contradiction for this senior musician. And that smile of hers....


Joseph, our nurse, dancing with every lady at the Police Band performance, spinning them, hugging them, listening to them and making them beautiful...

The ladies dancing the swing to the beat of the band...these ladies can dance. Poley moving like Gene Kelly. The children dancing–first the girls with the boys being shy, then not being able to stay still any longer and dancing with anyone and everyone....

Miss Natalie, dancing to the carols the band played, the look of the dance on her face, captured on film...

Rock on his boat, getting ready to go fishing. Lionel netting for bait....

Miss Netty, Miss Ella and the other ladies helping Netty handle the goods when the Dominican boat comes in. The orderly sale of the precious items like pineapple, pears (avocados), oranges to the islanders...

Ned and Lily Kennedy, what history they have to tell...

Mrs. Lillian Lightbourne, when I took her picture, said "you took a picture of me the other day". I said you can’t have too many. She replied "I don’t have anyone to look at them...." Oh yes you do, Mrs. Lightbourne...

The children, loving the camera lense. Their beauty and simplicity, school uniforms and polite ways. The kids know everyone on the island....

Willis on his bicycle, honking his horn...

Rosalie Harriott with her slides, and lovingly sharing the history of her home and family with Islanders and guests...

The most striking memory I have was from my first trip to Salt Cay in 1998 or so. It was a black and white kind of Sunday—huge black clouds filled the October sky. We went past the Methodist Church and a congregation was walking down the street. The ladies of Salt Cay were decked out in their Sunday finest with hats, purses and gloves. The pastor was an ebony black man, which stood out in stark contrast to his white cassock and robes. The only color was the clothing of the ladies against the leaden sky. That was one day I had no camera with me, but the vision is probably better than any photo I could ever take.

These are just a few of my memories for this holiday season and I hope anyone reading this newsletter will respond with their own memories of the people of Salt Cay.

Here are a few of the faces of Salt Cay...


No comments: